Thursday, August 25, 2011

Incubus Live - Thomas Cup Resurrected


PROLOGUE: We come, We perform, We leave.

INCUBUS - Anyone with my age almost somehow recognizes these guys. They're known with their hit song 'Drive' back in 2001. Cool musicians who were in KL last July. And I was there to see the show. 

The venue was Stadium Negara beside Victoria Institute (VI). As I arrived there, somehow I was more attracted to the school and the stadium. VI is one of the oldest, most prestigious school in the state. Stadium Negara is the first indoor stadium in Malaysia,

and a holy spot for those who remember.


After a long queue, I entered the stadium and quickly found myself back in 1992 again. The roof design, the seats, the floor, the stairs, the atmosphere (albeit a bit darker) -they seemed to be the same, welcoming me like old pals. I didn't attend the matches but I still remember them all from newspaper clippings and TV I watched before. 

Glorious and proud. That was some 19 years ago. 

Some instinct of antiquity I'd gotten in me. Let's get back to the concert, shall we?



People queuing to watch badminton, excuse me, concert!



A few minutes before the show. People already thronged the front of the stage. We waited until the band arrived before we go down there and start banging our heads! 




The concert started with a Malaysian band called Rosevelt. New, young and ambitious, they were intended to create impacts in our local music scenes. Not bad for a fledgling ensemble. Yet somehow as I scrutinized their performance for the whole 30 minutes, something was missing. The group lacked of the coolness of Cobain, the wrath of Hetfield, the charisma of Mercury. Or to take some recent examples, the Martin awesomeness or originality of Thom Yorke. 

I took these examples as I was raised in the 80s where rockstars were gods and concerts attended exceed ten of thousands. Maybe their music was meant for newer generations. As I said, fledgling ensemble. 

Reputation takes time. And you guys had made quite a mark that night. Keep on rocking dudes! In years we all shall know how awesome you really are.

After half an hour from Rosevelt, we went down and claimed our place among the restless crowd. After another 15 minutes intermission, finally it's time for the real show. Then, without warning the band appeared out of thin air and the lead singer Brandon Boyd just sang without intro whatsoever. The crowd seemed to love the surprise, but for me it's like...

Pak Ali: Bile nak start ni? (When will this commence?)

Ajib: Kejap lagi mula la tu.. (Anytime soon...)

Pak Ali: Tadi aku nampak macam ada orang atas stage.. (I think I saw someone on the stage...)

Boyd: I HEAR YOU ON THE RADIO! (1st song 'Megalomaniac')




The people went wild with the performance of Boyd and his members. They sang along, especially the hit songs such as 'Drive'. I joined the mob wrecking havoc by cheering the Incubus, making lots of noise, and grooved to the music of the band.


Ajib was definitely the star of the crowd as he has been a big fan of the group. Also, he's responsible for inviting me here in the first place!

Nevertheless, despite the sign and common courtesy, I realized more and more folks started to draw cigarettes that the hall quickly turned into a parlor of smoking orgy. I couldn't stand of the reek and moved to the upper section of the indoor stadium.

Ajib stayed to keep rocking as he always has the better immune system. Surprisingly no audience sat up there and it was me all alone enjoying the whole view for the rest of the show.



The show ended with Boyd final words 'Thank you boys and girls' and the band simply went away. Just like the way things started, just like that it concluded as well.

Showmanship is more than just performance. Like poetry, it has opening, body and closing. The concert was great, yet it lacked the essences of grand opening or memorable finale. I know because I'm a seminar speaker, a kinda performer myself. Maybe it's just in Malaysia. It might be different in other countries. 



Concert aftermath. Ajib with RM204 VIP ticket and VVIP special pass.

I never attended a concert before and I must say this is such a great experience. The group was medium with some 5000 people supporting Incubus. Yet, I could imagine being in one back in the 70s-80s when 100,000 horde was a norm. And I silently wished to attend Radiohead's in near future.

Yorke, we all awaiting thee . Show us how tipsy you can really be!

Above all, the venue shall always be special for me, where greater support was given, by all Malaysians, echoing throughout the country some time in the past, 19 years ago...


EPILOGUE: Malaysia wins 3-2! 

RESPECTO.

No comments:

Post a Comment